Flickr

www.flickr.com
Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset

Pages

Monday, July 6, 2009

Under the Sea

The inspiration for a necklace I made for my daughter just before she left for Australia, was from a beach find during last years vacation. We were on holidays in Tofino, on the West coast of Vancouver Island. During our holiday, we met up with our friends for a few fun filled days by the sea, and while we were taking a stroll on the beach, my girlfriend and I found the "Seaweed Thing"! It was a mass of seaweed entangled with shells, and stones and we just thought it was really neat! Here is my friend holding our find, it is the long mass that she is holding in her right hand which I call the Seaweed Thing!

So I finally got around to making a necklace inspired by this bit of ocean nature, and this is what I came up with:

I decided to call it "Under The Sea", which is a Disney song from the movie Little Mermaid, which was one of my daughters favorite movies when she was little. I used sterling silver chains, freshwater pearls, a silver sand dollar, Swarovski sea stars, a lampwork bead that reminded me of beach glass, copper rings and a pretty silver hammered heart, all wired together.

Pin It

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it- it's bold, interesting, and fashionably cluttered:) Perfect.

BeadedTail said...

I love the ocean and I love hearts therefore I really love that necklace! The name is perfect too!

storybeader said...

very cute! At first I thought you were going to give her seaweed to hang around her neck! lol

Reeni said...

This is really pretty!

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

Oooo, gorgeous. I love the inspirational pictures. Great mix of colors and textures.

Hot Rocks said...

Thanks everyone, it was a fun piece to work on!Yes, Five O'Clock Somewhere, I do like the textures in this necklace too.

Theresa said...

What a lovely way to get inspired. The necklace is gorgeous!!

Anna said...

Really pretty! Made me think of my oldest daughter...not only would she love the necklace, but that's her all-time favorite Disney movie!

Swapna said...

I LOVE that necklace and the song.. that is one of my most favourite Disney songs too...

Lin said...

Oh, I REALLY like that. I'm always digging algae and rocks and ick out of the pond,and for you to see something lovely in that is quite the talent!! Very cool.

ChatElaine said...

What a wonderful inspiration and a stunning necklace from it, I too love that song from the Little Mermaid film. ♥

Featured on:

World Artisan Gems

Sizzling Sales and Promos!

Would you like to be notified of sales and promos at Hot Rocks?
If so send me your email address, and I will add you to my mailing list.
contact susan@hotrocksglassjewels.com