These last few days have had me in deep thought about the future of my little jewelry business. The weekend show was a bit of a bust, and the online sales have really been almost none existent for several months now. Etsy just is not what it used to be for me, and to be honest I am not sure it is worth all the work, keeping that shop open. I am considering some changes in the product that I sell, and would love to get feedback from my readers! Other artists and crafters have also mentioned lately, that they are re evaluating their product or making changes to their business. I too, have many thoughts and possibilities swirling around my head! As you may know, I currently use sterling silver (.925) in my jewelry designs. One change that I may make, is to add some designs using silver plated metals...not for everything, but to have a selection that will feature simpler designs of bracelets and necklaces, that will be a more affordable line of jewelry for the budget conscious shopper. I would keep earrings in sterling silver, due to the fact that many people have metal sensitivities, and still have a smaller, higher end selection of designs in sterling silver as well. I still love to incorporate vintage beads into my creations, but may opt for more lucite and less expensive vintage finds. These are just a couple of ideas in my brain, now I need to pick your brains for your help with the following questions!
1. When selecting a piece of jewelry, how important to you, are the quality of materials used in the design?
( ex. handmade glass beads versus mass produced glass beads...or would you even notice?)
2. What about the metal used in the piece...sterling, silver plate, brass, copper, pewter etc.?
3. What amount of money would you typically feel comfortable spending on a necklace or bracelet for yourself, ... for a gift?
4. Does "one of a kind" matter to you,... or not really?
5. Have you, or would you purchase jewelry online, or is that something that you prefer to do in person?
6. What specifically gets your attention when you are out shopping for jewelry and accessories?
7. What other accessories, other than jewelry, do you regularly shop for ?
Any other input that you may have is certainly greatly appreciated! Thanks, in advance for your help and suggestions.