Flickr

www.flickr.com
Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset

Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Getting Inked!

During the last couple of weeks, I have been experimenting with alcohol inks, playing with the colors and designs they create on metal.

Alcohol inks are fast drying permanent transparent inks, that can be used on metal, paper, porcelain and many other types of material, to create interesting patterns and designs. They come in a variety of colors and finishes, but I started with three colors in this set, Wild Plum, Butterscotch and Stream.


 Adding the Alcohol Blending Solution, thins out the inks, making them more runny and transparent,  creating another effect.


 Here is what I did on the back of some pendent bezels. I love the marbling effect!


 Its almost somewhat of a Patina...but in  bright colors!



I added color to the other side of the bezel as well, and then created this  resin pendant.


 Here is another pendant, created with the inks, a vintage key, and resin.


In this pendant, I used some vintage filigree findings, and inked those up as well!

 
 

Since the inks are used on pendants, and were subject to handling, I also sealed the ink designs with a brush on sealer, for more durability.


 Oh, remember to wear gloves, if you are going to use these permanent inks.... the first time I used them, I did not..... and ended up with purple fingers for a few days!


These were lots of fun, and I am sure with more colors the results are endless!

Pin It

7 comments:

BeadedTail said...

Those are beautiful! You are so creative!

Jane Perala said...

Those look yummy Susan.

Lin said...

Oooooh! Yet another cool idea!! :) I LOVE this!

Terra said...

I like the pendants you made.

Pearl said...

Very nice! I love the little pendant with the little girl...

Pearl

Catherine said...

What a cool technique! So pretty.

And like your fall eye candy below!!

xo Catherine

Anonymous said...

Wow...those are really awesome! Looks like you had a blast- the possibilities seem endless with this medium!

Featured on:

World Artisan Gems

Sizzling Sales and Promos!

Would you like to be notified of sales and promos at Hot Rocks?
If so send me your email address, and I will add you to my mailing list.
contact susan@hotrocksglassjewels.com