Flickr

www.flickr.com
Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset

Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Paris Catacombs

Halloween is less than 1 week away.  Our whole family always gets  into the "spirit", by decorating our front yard like a graveyard,  and getting creative with the traditional carving of  pumpkins into Jack-o-lanterns. 
As I was going through my photos from our recent trip to England and France, I came across  this one, and thought it may be of interest as a Halloween week post in my blog!

I took this photo in the  tunnels of the Catacombs, in Paris....right before my camera batteries died! This is the one and only photo that I got, after standing in line for a couple of hours to get in.  The remains of approximately 6 million  people are down in these tunnels ...and it is kinda spooky. The maze of underground tunnels were once old quarries, that were selected to hold the bones of Paris' dead, after the city's cemeteries became full in the 1800's. Now it is a tourist attraction. In many areas, the bones are arranged in artistic designs...very bizarre...but interesting!  I was a bit creeped out down there in the dark, damp tunnels with all those skulls looking at me, and was glad when we finally reached the end. However, my husband and son thought it was one of the highlights of their Paris trip. Me...I preferred the Louvre! Pin It

4 comments:

Jane Perala said...

Definately bizarre and creepy - I don't think I would have gone in, you're much braver than me.

Anonymous said...

Ewww....scary!

Catherine said...

And now Halloween is only 2 sleeps away! Ha!

We don't get many trick or treaters here. It makes me happy! :)

This is a scary photo!!

xo Catherine

Lin said...

YUCK! Well, the photo is cool, but the concept of the catacombs is so CREEPY!!

Featured on:

World Artisan Gems

Sizzling Sales and Promos!

Would you like to be notified of sales and promos at Hot Rocks?
If so send me your email address, and I will add you to my mailing list.
contact susan@hotrocksglassjewels.com