Flickr

www.flickr.com
Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset

Pages

Friday, October 24, 2008

Ugandan Beads Silent Auction Project










Today Betty and I are doing a little modeling, to show you the project that I have been working on recently. If you have been following my blog, you will recall that a few weeks ago, I had posted about Ugandan beads, and the women that make them.These women live in terrible poverty, and used to work in rock quarries trying to support their children on less than a dollar a day. Making and selling these beads at fair trade prices, helps them to feed clothe and educate their children. So I decided to purchase some of these beads, from a bead supplier here in Canada, called Titan Beads, and create something for a silent auction that will be held during my Christmas craft show. Then 100% of the money paid to me by the winner of the auction, will be donated back to a charity to help the women of Uganda. I believe I may donate through Beads for Life , which puts the money towards community development and provides funding in the areas of health, vocational training and education, sustainable life skills, and affordable housing. So here is what I have made for the auction in November, a triple strand necklace that combines these unique recycled paper beads with Thai and Bali silver, Swarovski crystals, prehnite, silk cord and one funky lampwork glass bead. Check out the close up photo of these Ugandan beads, and you will see how they are made out of recycled paper, using such items as old magazines, calendars, and even cereal boxes.
Pin It

3 comments:

storybeader said...

great idea! I love the idea of giving a helping hand, and recycling for the earth. Think I've seen Beads for Life before - will look back on that. {:-Deb

Beaderjojo said...

What a commendable thing you are doing!
I love the necklace as well...its bold, funky, and textural. Fantastic job!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Beautiful necklace! I love the Uganda Beads for Life project :)

Featured on:

World Artisan Gems

Sizzling Sales and Promos!

Would you like to be notified of sales and promos at Hot Rocks?
If so send me your email address, and I will add you to my mailing list.
contact susan@hotrocksglassjewels.com