Flickr

www.flickr.com
Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset

Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Teaching kids

Next Tuesday, I am teaching a class of 22 grade 3 students how to make a simple one strand beaded bracelet. This is a first for me, so I am making sure that I am very prepared, and hope that everything goes smoothly...but with young children you never know! I have purchased all the supplies that I need, and have sorted the beads into colors in bead boxes. I have glass, stone and wood beads in several colors and sizes. I also plan on precutting the bead wire into 10 inch lengths, to speed the process along. I am going to give them a quick talk on design and pattern, using color, shape, texture, balance etc. and I also plan on discussing some ideas for inspiration to get them thinking about their own designs. I am going to bring in a few of my bracelets, some pictures of my jewelry, as well as magazines for them to look at. Then they will gather the beads for their project on a paper plate, and play with their patterns on their bead boards until they are satisfied with their bracelets. At that point I will help them attatch the clasp and I will crimp the crimp beads for them. I also have a handout on making a bracelet, for each child to take home, should they wish to try this again at a later date with Mom or Dad. I hope that I haven't forgotton anything! If any of you wonderful jewelry designers or crafters out there have any tips, I would be very happy to hear them! Pin It

2 comments:

ChatElaine said...

I suggest and hope you have lots of PINK beads for the girls, try and put them into fairly large trays because they will all dive-in all at once and they will go everywhere because they do get very excited. Also it might be a good idea to either finish one end so the beads dont keep sliding off or make the length of stringing long enough to compensate. I have had a jewellery making stall at school fetes and these are the things I have noticed are problems. The rest of what you have said in your post seems to be very spot-on!! Hope that helps!! Elaine

Hot Rocks said...

Thanks Elaine! It is great to get advice from someone who has done this before. I heard that pink and purple were popular with the girls. Yes... I think I will put one end of the clasp on the bracelet, I read somewhere on line that it really helps to secure one end of the bracelet as you mentioned, to keep the beads from going everywhere!!Thanks for the advice!
Susan

Featured on:

World Artisan Gems

Sizzling Sales and Promos!

Would you like to be notified of sales and promos at Hot Rocks?
If so send me your email address, and I will add you to my mailing list.
contact susan@hotrocksglassjewels.com