Flickr

www.flickr.com
Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset

Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Labradorite


Long ago, the Inuit people (formerly known as Eskimos) believed that the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis, were once trapped in the rocks off the coast of Labrador, on Canadas' Atlantic east coast. Legend tells us that one of their ancestors released the lights, when the hunters' mighty spear broke open the rocks and set the colorful lights free into the sky. However, some of the lights remained trapped inside the rocks, and that became what is now the beautiful iridescent stone known as Labradorite! It is named after the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, after its discovery there in 1770. Labradorite, also known as one of the "gems of winter", is also found in other parts of Canada, the US, Mexico, Norway, Finland, Australia and Madagascar. This beautiful stone is said to energize the body, and bring good luck, wisdom, intuition and protection to the wearer. Labradorite is one of my very favorite stones, and I was fortunate to come across a couple of lovely Labradorite pendants, while shopping in Victoria, on my recent vacation. They are completely different, with one having some gorgeous cobalt blue colors that shimmer in the light, the other has fantastic flashes of greens, golds and blues! I am looking forward to using these stones in my Fall designs. Pin It

9 comments:

BeadedTail said...

I think Labradorite is so pretty and I certainly enjoyed learning the history of this stone. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are amazing, especially the lighter one. I love hearing about the lore of it to! That'll work great with the chunky jewelry you were talking about making yesterday.

WillOaks Studio said...

Thanks for the great info!! I just adore labradorite and am ALWAYS looking at or looking for new stones...those are just beautiful!

Narrative jewelry said...

Lucky girl you are to have found these beautiful pieces of labradorite. As for you, they are my favourite stones. I had the chance to find one with pink and gold flashes. Thank you to share with us the beautiful story about them.

I'm very impatient to see the beauties you'll create with them.

xoxo

Unknown said...

nice.....congrats on the art show .... keep up posted.... playing catchup... have a great week..

mona & the gaffer girls

Swapna said...

:)..

One Creative Queen said...

I love labradorite! It's such a beautiful stone - and I appreciate hearing everything you shared about it. I hadn't heard any of that before - it was interesting. :)

One Creative Queen said...

Oh - and I meant to tell you, you've got some really BEEE-UUUUU-tiful things listed on etsy right now. I need to win the Lotto! xx

One Creative Queen said...

Oh - and I meant to tell you, you've got some really BEEE-UUUUU-tiful things listed on etsy right now. I need to win the Lotto! xx

Featured on:

World Artisan Gems

Sizzling Sales and Promos!

Would you like to be notified of sales and promos at Hot Rocks?
If so send me your email address, and I will add you to my mailing list.
contact susan@hotrocksglassjewels.com