Flickr

www.flickr.com
Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset Hot Rocks' Hot Rocks Jewellery 2012 photoset

Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008

Venetian and Murano glass beads


As I mentioned last week, I will be doing a series on the different types of beads that I use in my jewelry designs. This week I am featuring fabulous Venetian and Murano glass beads! Venetian and Murano glass beads are gorgeous beads that are individually handmade by skilled artisans from the island of Murano, near Venice, Italy, using techniques that are several hundred years old. Murano glass blowers and lampworkers produce some of the most beautiful glass in the world. The technique of lampworking is used to make each Murano bead individually therefore no two beads are ever exactly alike! Glass rods are melted and the bead is formed around a metal mandrel, then cooled slowly, and removed from the rod, which leaves the hole for stringing the bead. These usually contain thin layers or flecks of precious metals such as .925 silver, 24K gold or white gold foil, submerged between layers of crystal clear glass, giving wonderful depth and a shimmering effect. Venetian glass beads are light weight, hollow, mouth blown beads that contain swirls or stripes of color. These beads come in many shapes and sizes. Beware of cheaper imitations, and remember you get what you pay for. These will take your breath away! I will have some of my designs featuring these beads, up in my Etsy store this week. Please check them out, the beads are stunning!
Pin It

No comments:

Featured on:

World Artisan Gems

Sizzling Sales and Promos!

Would you like to be notified of sales and promos at Hot Rocks?
If so send me your email address, and I will add you to my mailing list.
contact susan@hotrocksglassjewels.com